As part of our Qualified for the Future reform work that supports the ambitions of the Curriculum for Wales, we're reshaping the full qualifications offer which will be available to all learners aged 14 to 16 alongside new Made-for-Wales GCSEs. This work is driven by the needs of learners, employers and our economy, ensuring equality of opportunity regardless of how or what learners in Wales want to learn.
We’ve developed three proposals for 14-16 qualifications alongside GCSEs, to create an inclusive menu of bilingual qualifications for schools and learners to choose from.
Ranging from entry level to level 2 across a wide range of subjects (such as the world of work, financial capability, careers development, equality and diversity, food safety, essential skills, sport and first aid), these proposals include:
- a Skills Suite with an Integral Skills Project qualification and units/qualifications in Skills for Life and Skills for Work
- pre-vocational qualifications in broad occupational areas
- foundation qualifications to supplement the new GCSEs
The Full 14-16 Qualifications Offer
We asked to hear your views in our public consultation which ran between 14 March 2023 and 14 June 2023. The consultation has now closed, and decisions will be published during January 2024.
The Full 14-16 Qualifications Offer refers to around 1,200 non-GCSE qualifications currently studied by learners in Wales who fall within this age group. We've reviewed these qualifications and how they align to the Curriculum for Wales, evaluating the international equivalents and comparing qualifications in Scotland, England and Northern Ireland, through a ‘desk-based review’.
We've also been speaking and listening to learners, teachers, headteachers, employers, parents/carers, training providers, universities, awarding bodies and others. We shared two online questionnaires, one for learners and one for others with an interest in qualifications for 14 to 16 year-olds in Wales, exploring:
- what future qualifications and subjects are needed in this space?
- which skills are needed for learners in this age group?
- what role does assessment play in these qualifications?
- how should digital technology be used in these qualifications?
- what are the progression routes for post-16 learning?
Want to find out more?
If you’d like to speak with a member of our team to discover more about the Full 14-16 Qualifications Offer, contact us firstname.lastname@example.org