Appeals for GCSE, AS and A level in Wales - summer 2022
An annual release that presents data on the number of appeals in Wales for GCSE, AS and A level qualifications.
- There were 35 GCSE, AS and A level appeals submitted following the summer 2022 exam series, 16 of which were upheld.
- 130 GCSE, AS and A level grades were challenged and 50 grades changed as a result of an appeal in summer 2022.
- 0.013% of all summer 2022 GCSE, AS and A level grades – about 1 in 7,800 - were changed due to an appeal.
- Appeals relating to malpractice were the most common type of GCSE appeal in summer 2022. AS and A level appeals tend to be more focused on the outcomes of a review of marking and moderation process.
- Substantial changes were made to the awarding and appeals processes in summers 2020 and 2021 due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Caution is needed when comparing figures for 2020 and 2021 with other years.
- These statistics do not include data on appeals which were withdrawn. This is consistent with previous years.
Tel: 01633 373 292
Tel: 01633 373 222