Appeals for GCSE, AS and A level in Wales: summer 2021 exam series
An annual release that presents data on the number of appeals in Wales for GCSE, AS and A level qualifications.
- There were 317 GCSE and GCE appeals submitted to awarding bodies following the summer 2021 exam series, 15 of which were upheld.
- 320 GCSE and GCE grades were challenged, and 15 grades changed because of an appeal in summer 2021. 0.003% of all summer 2021 GCSE and GCE grades – about 1 in 30,000 - were changed due to an appeal.
- Due to the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic there have been substantial changes to the awarding and appeals processes. These changes mean that users should interpret differences between 2021 figures and other series with caution. This release describes the appeals in summer 2021 only.
- In summer 2021, learners could appeal their provisional grades by requesting a centre review, which may have led to grade changes. These statistics do not include data on centre reviews or grade changes as a result of centre reviews. Only appeals which were submitted to awarding bodies (stage 2) for summer 2021 are included.
- These statistics do not include data on appeals which were withdrawn. This is consistent with previous years.
Tel: 01633 373 253
Tel: 01633 373 216