Entries and late entries for GCSE and A level in Wales: 2019/20 academic year
An annual release that presents data on the number of entries and late entries for GCSE, AS and A level qualifications in Wales.
Release Date: Thursday 5 November, 2020
Period covered: 2019/20 academic year
Next Update: November 2021 (Provisional)
- 331,100 GCSE certificates were awarded in 2019/20, an increase of 1 per cent.
- 78,130 AS and A level certificates were awarded in 2019/20, an increase of 5.8 per cent. This increase was largely driven by an increase in AS certificates while A level certificates decreased.
- There were 974,210 GCSE entries, a decrease of 0.7 per cent. Of these, 13 per cent were late entries, a decrease of 1.1 percentage points.
- There were 176,010 AS and A level entries, a decrease of 1.5 per cent. Of these 12.8 per cent were late entries, an increase of 5.4 percentage points.
- Statistics in this release are at the qualification level and so do not allow analysis of factors which may have influenced any changes. For commentary on external factors please see our statistical release “Provisional Entries for Summer 2020 GCSEs, AS, A levels, Skills Challenge Certificate, and Level 1/Level 2 Certificates for Wales”.
- The definition of a late entry for statistical purposes is an entry received after midnight on the closing date for each exam series. The definition of late entries used for statistical purposes does not mean that centres had to pay a fee to the awarding body for each of these late entries. Awarding bodies have different dates after which a late fee is charged and so the late entry statistics do not necessarily represent the number of entries for which a late fee was charged.
- This release contains data that may be affected by the COVID-19 pandemic. Patterns in entries in 2020 may differ from previous years and may not be representative of how entries would have looked had exams gone ahead as normal. Users should interpret differences between summer 2020 and other series with caution.
Tel: 01633 373 250
Tel: 01633 373 216