Monitoring vocational qualifications
We closely monitor vocational qualifications and focus on qualifications and qualification groups that are not targeted by the sectoral reviews.
Due to the number and variety of vocational qualifications offered in Wales and the number of awarding bodies offering vocational qualifications in Wales, we are proportionate and targeted in our approach to vocational qualification monitoring. We take a number of factors into account when deciding which qualifications to monitor. We focus our monitoring on qualifications that meet one or more of the following descriptions:
- Eligible for public funding
- Relatively high entries and certifications
- Not targeted by sector reviews
- Assess areas of work where safety is critical
- Meet a requirement for, or licence to, practice
- First Aid
- Food Safety
- Health and Safety
For each monitoring activity we compare and contrast information and evidence from different awarding bodies and focus on:
- the assessment standards that awarding bodies set
- their external quality-assurance processes
- the guidance that they provide to learning providers
We also gather feedback from learners, centres and other key stakeholders.
We report on our findings and, if we identify shortcomings with individual awarding bodies, we write to them to highlight our concerns and require them to take action accordingly in line with our ‘Taking action when things go wrong’ policy.