Annual Report 2019
Welcome to our fourth Annual Report, which describes our work from September 2018 to August 2019.
The report gives details of how we’ve made a difference to learners, and the education system in Wales over the last year.
Ann Evans (Chair of Qualifications Wales - September 2015 - September 2019):
“Over the past 12 months tens of thousands of learners in Wales have progressed through the qualifications system, gaining qualifications that directly impact their future. Learners in Wales are at the heart of everything Qualifications Wales does.
“Underpinning this work is our commitment to designing the best possible qualifications for Wales, available in Welsh and English, so that our learners enjoy the choice they deserve.”
Philip Blaker (Chief Executive of Qualifications Wales):
“We play an important part in the Welsh education system – ensuring fairness for learners past, present and future, and building confidence in the education system. Through our work we aim to do the right thing for the right reasons, putting learners’ needs first.”
During the year we have:
- started work on the future shape of qualifications for the new curriculum;
- built a wider understanding and awareness of the Welsh Baccalaureate Skills Challenge Certificate;
- Continued our sector reviews by publishing Delivering Digital, our report on the ICT sector and starting work on our review of engineering, advanced manufacturing and energy sectors;
- Made good progress in our ambitious programme to develop new suites of qualifications for health and social care, including childcare, and construction and the built environment;
- Undertaken a comprehensive review of food safety qualifications;
- Published research on public confidence in the qualifications system.