The Board delegates to the Chief Executive, in consultation with the Chair, the discharge of all statutory functions other than the following:
- any matter reserved to the Board;
- any matter delegated to a committee or sub-committee of the Board.
To support the Chief Executive in delivering these functions, our management structure consists of a number of groups that oversee the organisation's strategic and operational activities.
The Executive team
The Executive works in partnership with the Board when developing strategy for Qualifications Wales. The Executive is accountable for the day-to-day activities of the organisation and provides corporate leadership. It fulfils many of its management responsibilities through the Management Board, which has extended membership.
The Executive consists of the Chief Executive and the Executive Directors for:
- Policy and Research
- Finance and Corporate Services
Our Management Board provides direction on operational activity and corporate matters, and is our principal decision-making forum. The core membership of the Management Board is made up of the Executive team and the Associate Directors for General and Vocational Qualifications. Management Board is supported by the Head of Corporate Governance, Head of Communications and Head of Finance. Other members of the Senior Leadership Group and wider staff team will attend as necessary, depending on the topics being discussed.
Vocational Qualifications Strategy Delivery Board (VQSDB)
Management Board has delegated its responsibility for the management of the delivery of Qualifications Wales’s vocational qualifications strategy to the Vocational Qualifications Strategy Delivery Board [VQSDB]. Management Board remains accountable to the Board for delivering the Strategy.
The role of the VQSDB includes:
- To own and manage the organisation’s delivery of its vocational qualifications strategy, both in the context of the strategy’s aims, and in the context of organisational operations (including the delivery of the Operational Plan).
- To receive and respond to all reporting on the organisation’s vocational qualifications activity and intelligence (including research).
- To identify and manage any cross-cutting issues, and to ensure that they are brought to the attention of Management Board where relevant.
- To identify and manage any cross-cutting operational issues, and to ensure that they are brought to the attention of Management Board where relevant.
- To assure itself that the strategy is being managed appropriately.
The VQSDB is made up of internal staff, some of whom are decision-making members; others are attendees.
General Qualifications Strategy Delivery Board (GQSDB)
Management Board has delegated its responsibility for the management of managing the delivery of Qualifications Wales’s general qualifications strategy to the General Qualifications Strategic Plan to the General Qualifications Strategy Delivery Board (GQSDB). Management Board remains accountable to the QW Board for delivering the strategic plan.
The role and purpose of the group GQSDB includes:
- To own and manage the organisation’s delivery of its General Qualifications Strategic Plan, both in the context of its the strategy’s aims and priorities, and in the context of organisational operations
- To receive and respond to all reporting on the organisation’s general qualifications activities and intelligence
- To identify and manage any cross-cutting organisational issues relating to general qualifications, and to ensure that they are brought to the attention of Management Board where relevant.
- To assure itself that the strategic plan is being managed and delivered effectively and appropriately.
GQSDB is made up of internal staff, some of whom are decision-making members; others are attendees.
Senior Leadership Group
Our Senior Leadership group brings together all of the heads of teams from across Qualifications Wales. Its primary role is to ensure that there is a strong cohesion across the various functions, and effective communication throughout the organisation. The Senior Leadership group is also responsible for the operational reporting of the business plan which is scrutinised by Management Board and then Board.
The Senior Leadership group are guardians of our values, and group members work together to take responsibility for specific cross-functional activities and projects. Working in partnership with the Executive team, the Senior Leadership Group provides strong leadership throughout the organisation.